Sunday, December 8, 2013

Children

The father speaking here.

Aside from studying up on children because I knew that I was going to be a father this semester, I've recently reflected on my childhood and the important things that I learned and experienced growing up.  Most importantly, I learned that I am a child of God, and that He loves me.  I learned that I had many privileges and opportunities, troubles and hardships, spiritual experiences and personal accomplishments.  I have often looked back and thought that life was unfair or difficult, but as of late I've had the joy of realizing how much I was loved, and how I may have taken it for granted.  I grew up in a family that was whole: a father, mother, brothers, a sister, Jesus Christ, tough love and burnt food.  We had (and still have) the gospel of Jesus Christ.  We had a home, food, clothing, everything that we needed to survive.  I was blessed to learn from the hands of a man that had gone through some tough spots, but was determined to be a good person in whatever capacities were given him.  I learned that weeding the garden and raking leaves and doing the dishes yesterday were good things, but it was more important that I do something today.  I learned that speaking with a kind voice was far more effective than yelling, and that even for a guy, it's alright to be sensitive and caring.  I'm grateful that my parents raised me the way that they did, and hope that I can raise up children that will love their grandparents as much as I love them.

One of my favorite conference talks has been on my mind recently and I just wanted to share a portion of it.  I enjoy this thought because it shows how pure and loving children can be, and how they can be such good examples to everyone else.
"I remember when I was young, there was an older boy who was physically and mentally disabled.  He had a speech impediment and walked with difficulty.  The boys used to make fun of him.  They teased and taunted him until sometimes he would cry.

I can still hear his voice: "You're not kind to me," he said.  And still they would ridicule him, push him, and make jokes about him.
One day I could bear it no longer.  Although I was only seven years old, the Lord gave me the courage to stand up to my friends.  "Don't touch him," I said to them.  "Stop teasing him.  Be kind.  He is a child of God!"(Concern for the One, Ensign May 2008)


I hope that I can be a good enough example to my daughter (and eventually other children) that she will be the one defending others and being kind to all.  I know that her mother is a good enough example for the both of us, but I've got to pull my own weight too.

Père Smiley out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment